Stuart Liddell, from Inveraray, started piping at the age of nine and was originally taught by his grandfather, the late Pipe Major Ronald McCallum M.B.E. He has also had tuition from Jim Henderson and Hugh MacCallum.
For seven years he was a member of the Scottish Power Pipe Band thereafter joining the Simon Fraser University Pipe Band from Vancouver, Canada with whom he played for eleven years.
Stuart is one of the world’s most exciting pipers and is noted for his excellent solo performances and recordings at numerous Simon Fraser University Pipe Band concerts.
A piano tuner by trade, he is also a piping instructor at Mid Argyll Primary and Lochgilphead High Schools.
His solo achievements include:
Young Piper of the Year 1994, 1995 and 1997
1992 – Silver Medal (Argyllshire Gathering, Oban)
1997 – Silver Star (MSR) 3rd Place
2000 – Gold Medal (Northern Meeting, Inverness)
2001 – Uist & Barra Overall Winner
2004 – Gold Medal (Argyllshire Gathering, Oban)
2006 – Scottish Pipers Association Knockout
2007 – Scottish Pipers Association and Scots Guards Knockout Competitions
2007 – The Clasp (Northern Meeting, Inverness)
2008 – Piping Live! Masters (Glasgow)
2009 – The Dan Reid Memorial (San Francisco)
2009 – The Homecoming Gathering (Edinburgh)
2009 – Dunvegan Medal
2009 – The Clasp (Northern Meeting, Inverness)
2009 – Glenfiddich Piping Championship
2009 – The Bratach Gorm & Overall Winner (Highland Society of London Competition)
2010 – The Metro Cup (NY)
2010 – Donald MacDonald Quaich (Skye)
2010 – Silver Star (Argyllshire Gathering, Oban
2010 – Silver Star (Northern Meeting, Inverness)
2011 – The Masters
2012 – Oban Senior Piobaireachd
His recordings include:
• 1997 Piping Centre Recital Series Vol.2
• Scottish Power Pipe Band – Tartan Weave
• Simon Fraser University Pipe Band – Live at Carnegie Hall
• Simon Fraser University Pipe Band – Down Under
• Awesome Pipers – 2004
• Simon Fraser University Pipe Band – On Home Ground
• Stuart Liddell – Inveroran – Mairi Bhan Og
• Inveraray & District Pipe Band – Ascension
His pipe band achievements include:
• Winning the World Pipe Band Championships with SFU in 1999, 2001 and 2008.
• Forming the Inveraray & District Pipe Band in 2004, winning the Novice Juvenile World Pipe Band Championship in 2007 and Juvenile in 2008, winning the Grade 2 Scottish, British, European, World and Cowal Pipe Band Championships in 2009 and achieving fourth place at the Worlds and second place in Grade 1 at Cowal Pipe Band Championships in 2011.
Visit the Inveraray and District Pipe Band website at: www.idpb.co.uk